Coping with family pressures – advice and information

The winter months bring extra challenges with financial pressures, families all under one roof, and combined with the stress of coping with Covid-19 this year.
family pressure

All of these issues can put increasing pressure on families, making it difficult to cope, which can cause mental health issues and other problems. We have compiled these sources of support and guidance to help Windsor and Maidenhead families’ cope.

Achieving for Children

If you are a parent, carer or young person and you are looking for information on services provided for you. Click here. This portal provides you with local services for children and young adults.

Adult Social Care

Optalis provides adult social care in partnership with the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead and Wokingham Borough Council. Optalis provide a range support and care services for older people, adults with a disability and people with mental health needs both in the community and at home. They can be contacted by calling 0118 977 8600, Text Relay 18001 0118 977 8600 or via email

Covid-19 Self Isolation

Royal Borough residents can now apply online for self-isolation funding through the Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead website, as part of the Test and Trace support scheme. Payments of £500 can be made to qualifying residents through the scheme, which is due to run until 31 January 2021.  More information can be found here .

Citizens Advice

Advisers will research your options and look at the possible outcomes of different courses of action. They will not tell you what to do but encourage you to make your own decisions. They will help you to make informed decisions by advising on your specific needs and giving you the facts on which to base those decisions. Advisers use all the latest information so that you are armed with the best and most accurate advice. Telephone  AdviceLine 03444 111 444. During periods of heavy demand you may be asked to leave a voicemail. Please be assured that we will get back to you. The return call will come from a blocked number. It’s helpful to include your email address in your voicemail. 

Domestic Abuse

The current restrictions on our day-to-day living and additional stresses because of coronavirus will put pressure on lots of relationships and families. Domestic abuse is likely to get worse with coronavirus restrictions, and in these circumstances, some people might also experience abuse for the first time. Call 999 if you’re at immediate risk. Other support is offered by Berkshire Women’s Aid on 0118 950 4003, available 24 hours a day. You can also visit the Berkshire Women's Aid website. They support people of all genders.

Domestic Abuse- Domestic Abuse Stops Here (DASH)

DASH supports women, children and men suffering from any kind of abuse from partners, ex partners or family members. If you or someone you know needs our help please call our helpline: 01753 549865. You can also make a referral online.

Family Support - Family Friends

Family Friends provide short term support to families who are facing difficult times and enable them to get back on their feet. Their help is free, confidential and open to any family living in the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead with a child aged 0 – 13 years and up to 18 years for Armed Service families. Family Friends is staffed by a team who are all passionate about helping families going through difficult times. You can contact Family Friends by emailing or calling 0300 800 1005 or if you wish to text 07860 021 720. Please note this service is run Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

Family Support Workers

Raising a family can be rewarding and enjoyable time but we know there are times when extra support is needed. Children's Centre staff, called Family Support Workers can help during these times by offering support that is tailored to your family's needs, or we can help find a service that can support you. Each Family Support Worker has a case-load of families that they work with on a one: one basis or within groups. For families that are unable to access support within the Children's Centre, Family Support Workers can arrange to visit you at home or talk to you over the telephone. For further information, contact the services by emailing or calling 01753 582564

Financial Support- Benefits

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Revenues and Benefits Team can help customers who are in need of other types of financial support such as housing benefit or help with council tax. Contact them by: You can contact our benefits team by: email: or call 01628 796036

Financial Support- Buy with Confidence

Buy With Confidence is the only nationally available business approval scheme that’s 100% owned, controlled and operated by independent public sector bodies. Using a Buy with Confidence approved member is the best way to ensure a legal, honest and fair service if you need work doing around your home. Buy With Confidence

Financial Support- COVID Winter Grant Scheme

The COVID-19 Winter support scheme is designed to help households deal with the financial challenges of winter and seeks to help thousands of households with children eligible for free school meals as well as other vulnerable families and individuals.  The Royal Borough will support vulnerable families to make their financial resources go further by providing additional, targeted support for food from Tuesday 1 December 2020 to Wednesday 31 March 2021.

Financial Support- Test and Trace Support Payments

The government have a new package to support and enforce self-isolation. Visit the Test and Trace Support Payments page for information and how to claim.

NSPCC Support for Parents

Parenting can be rewarding, but it can also be challenging. The NSPCC Support for Parents webpage provides parenting tips for all stages of your child’s life, as well as advice on how to deal with difficult situations.

Safeguarding- Children and Young People

The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) is the single point of contact for all safeguarding and wellbeing concerns regarding children and young people in Royal Borough Windsor and Maidenhead. They are committed to ensuring that all children and young people with additional needs are identified early. They ensure information is shared effectively between different agencies, offering advice and guidance and referring children, young people and their families to services that can help them. All referrals for children or young people living in the Royal Borough should be sent to  or you can call on 01628 683150.

Safeguarding- Adults

Safeguarding is everybody’s responsibility as everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. If you are concerned about someone, please phone adult social care on 01628 683744 during normal office working hours. If emergency help is required outside office hours, please contact the Emergency Duty Team on 01344 786543.  If you think someone is in immediate danger, please phone the emergency services on 999.  Do not put yourself or anyone else at risk.

Young Carers in Windsor and Maidenhead

All young carers are entitled to a Young Carers Assessment to ensure the right support is in place for their own development whilst balancing the needs of the person they care for. It is important to acknowledge young carers and let them know of their rights, even if they choose not to have a formal Young Carers Assessment. For more information or for support, email or call 01628 626991. Family Action run this service in Windsor and Maidenhead.

Important Contact Details

In an emergency, or if you suspect you or someone else is in immediate danger, phone 999.

For Deaf Access Text 999 or Emergency Minicom TextRelay on 18000 (You must be registered to use this service).

If you need advice on accessing health and care services, how to stay safe and well this winter, mental health, or dealing with loneliness and isolation, we have developed advice and information pages on all these topics.  



Looking for information about health and care?

Find advice and information to help you stay well and make decisions about your health and social care support.

Find advice and information