Prospect Park Patient Experience Project Summary
Where: Bluebell, Daisy, Rose & Snowdrop wards, Prospect Park Hospital, Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Honey, End Lane, Reading, RG30 4EJ.
When: 11 visits between Monday 23 October and Sunday 29 October 2017, of 1.5 hours duration each, either at 9.45am, 2pm or 7.45pm.
Who: 41 adults (24 female, 17 male), a mix of voluntary or ‘sectioned’ inpatients, completed surveys, plus eight people took part in a group talk.
Why: All six local Healthwatch in Berkshire wanted to jointly:
- Look at inpatient experience for people with serious mental health needs
- Find, highlight and share examples of good practice
- Allow patients’ voices to be heard, including any ideas for improvements
- See how dementia friendly the Rowan Ward is (see separate report)
- Find out what might have prevented people from needing hospital care
- Inform BHFT and clinical commissioning groups as they plan mental health care
How: The six Healthwatch used their statutory Enter and View function to jointly request and obtain prior agreement of BHFT to visit. Healthwatch teams asked patients to complete an anonymous survey and/or to take part in one-to-one or group conversations.